slideshow background 4

Wilson aka Willee

Our motto: “Heal the body, heal the mind then find the Vizsla within!” – Lee Mahlman
Our goal: To leave no Vizsla to die or suffer.
Remember: “No matter how nice, a shelter can never be a home.”

    ka Willee

    May 29, 2006 – January 10, 2007

    Willee’s Tribute

    Wilson joined our family on Memorial Day 2006. For several weeks before we brought him home, we corresponded with Rita and Polly about our Willee. They let us know that Wilson was a very special case. He had been severely abused, was plagued with worms, and was literally close to death when he came to the Rescue. Fortunately, he had fallen into good hands. Polly nursed him back to health in every way. She helped him get the veterinary care he needed to become healthy, she taught him how to socialize with other dogs and people, and she helped him overcome his fears, distrust of humans and confidence issues. Finally, he was ready to go home.

    When we first met Willee, he was a bit timid. But, when we sat down to take our adoption photo that evening, I’ll never forget how he just melted into my lap. I think he knew right then that we were his forever home.

     Willee’s progress over the next few months was amazing as he settled into his new life. He very quickly overcame his fears and developed into a strong, confident and very loving dog. Before long, he was walking on the hardwood floors he was previously so scared of, he was happily meeting new people, chasing squirrels with his new sister Harlie, and just generally loving life. We even took him on our annual family vacation to Lake Powell. What an adventure he had! Before the end of the week, he had learned to swim to the middle of the lake and jump right on our rafts so he could float in the water with us!

    Willee became a part of our family very quickly. He didn’t care what we were doing or where we were going, he just wanted to be included. In late October, after one of our regular runs in the park, Willee developed a limp. After numerous trips to the vet, a battery of tests, and lots of worry, Wilson was diagnosed with bone cancer in his scapula in December 2006. We learned soon after that the cancer had already spread to his lungs, and many of the life-saving options we had hoped for were no longer viable.

    The cancer spread very quickly, and by the holidays, we could tell that the pain was getting much worse. Always a character, he made sure that our Christmas was one we wouldn’t forget. On Christmas Eve, we went out with our family to see the neighborhood Christmas lights. Since he always loved a car ride, we brought Wilson to ride along with us in the very back of the SUV. With several family members in town, four of us were sitting in the back seat with little room to spare. About halfway through the ride, Willee decided that he wanted a front-seat view and made his way over the seats until he was sitting on my grandmother’s lap!! It was quite comical – especially for Wilson.

    On January 10, we helped Wilson cross the Rainbow Bridge. It was one of the hardest things either of us have ever had to do. It just seemed so unfair that he had to endure so much in his short life. We hope that we gave Willee the best home and as much love as we possibly could over the short seven months we had him. To see Wilson grow and progress over that period of time was a true gift. We will forever miss our Willee, and hope that he knows how much he is loved. – –Stacey and Tim

    Tim and I helped Wilson cross the Rainbow Bridge last night around 6:30 p.m. Wilson was diagnosed with a rapidly progressive form of bone cancer in his shoulder a couple of months ago. After talking with Polly and Rita, and truly realizing how much pain he was in, we knew we couldn’t wait much longer. He was suffering, and it wasn’t fair for us to keep him around simply for our sake. We had to do what was right for him. Also, Wilson’s worst days seemed to coincide with an impending snowstorm, for whatever reason. The past couple of times a snowstorm was moving in, he would cry consistently through the day and the night. With this weekend’s storm on its way, we didn’t want him to have to endure another horrible painful bout.

    Wilson did very well last night, as he always did at the vet’s office. He drifted off peacefully, wrapped in his favorite blanket on a couch, with both Tim and I by his side. We will have his ashes returned to us and plan to leave some by his favorite squirrel-watching tree in our backyard, and maybe at Lake Powell, where he ran, swam and played last summer. Today is an incredibly tough day, just knowing that he is not around. We’re remembering some of the funny things that he would do and how far he’s come over the past six or seven months.

    He was such a blessing to our lives and we were very lucky to have him for the time that we did. We want you to know that we love him very, very much. Our hearts are broken today and we feel very empty, but I know that in time, we will gain comfort from the memories we have of him. We can’t thank you enough for all of your help and support throughout the time we had Willie. When the time is right, we will let you know because we have a lot of love to give to another rescue V.

    Sincerely, Stacey and Tim

    Note: Wilson brought Stacey & Tim to our reunion last year, 2006. It was the first time I met him and them. I am so glad that I did. It was so great.